Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 8: The Sound of... Podcasting

This week our topic of discussion was Podcasting. Podcasting is the production of sound based files, whether it be radio shows or music over the web. The word "podcasting" comes from the combination of the words Ipod and Broadcasting. Garage Band is a Mac program that enables the production of podcasts. You can create sound files or play around with the different musical instruments and create a song. Websites such as imeem allow you to upload these sound files you have created on Garage Band and share them with the world.
I will use Podcasting in my classroom as a way of reaching out to my students if I am away from classroom. Since so many students have access to computers these days I will be able to reach them through podcasting if I have to miss class or even if they have to miss class through instructions of classwork over my own podcast.
I chose to include the following video from Vimeo (I think we've looked at a video from this site before in class) because it really does explain how podcasting works in "plain English". I was very unfamiliar with the term podcasting before this class and still a little bit afterwards, but after looking for some further explanation, and stumbling across this site I have a better grip on this whole podcasting business.

Podcasting in Plain English from leelefever on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment